Building Certifiers Brisbane
Whether you're responsible for building a residential development, commercial premises, or an additional structure on an existing property, building approval and certification is required. Building approval ensures your project is safe and compliant with the relevant building codes in your area.
No matter the size or scope of your building project, iCertified's experienced and professional private building certifiers in Brisbane will provide the highest level of service in certifying your project through all stages of the build, ensuring a smooth process.
Quick Building Certification FAQs
What is a building certification?
In Queensland, it's required by law for buildings and structures to be evaluated against the building assessments provisions.
These provisions include:
- The Building Code of Australia (Volumes 1 & 2 of the National Construction Code.)
- Queensland Development Code.
- Various other regulations in Queensland.
Why do I need a building certification?
Obtaining a building certification through a private certifier confirms that your structure is compliant with local council and state/federal law. This also covers any developments or subdivisions planned for the future.
When do I need building certification?
Any structure that is built on your block of land will most likely require a building certification to comply with local city council, state and federal building laws.
This approval should be obtained BEFORE any construction work takes place.
How much does a building certification cost?
Obtaining a building approval is a small but necessary investment to protect your assets.
When you receive a building approval you:
- Maximise the sale value of your property.
- Comply with local council as well as state and federal law.
- Reduce your risk.
What is a Private Building Certifier?
A Private Certifier is a building specialist or Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) who is authorised to examine and approve building/construction work.
It is the PCA's job to verify that building work complies with authorised plans and state legal standards.
Arrange a building approval: 1300 899 078 or book online.
Building Approvals & Private Certification
If you are undertaking construction work of any kind or altering or repairing structural building work, by law you must get the required building approvals and permits from a licensed and registered private building certifier. Our certifiers in Brisbane can provide the necessary permits so your residential or commercial project can begin without delay, while remaining compliant with regulatory bodies.
As part of the compliancy process, a certifier is required to regularly inspect building projects during the design, each stage of construction and on completion to ensure that the building work complies with the initial plans, as well as the necessary building standards and codes in the state of Queensland. The building certifier also looks after the relevant approvals and documentation required throughout the building process, which must be lodged with your local council.
iCertified's team of qualified inspectors are:
- Licensed under the Queensland Building & Construction Commission (QBCC) & experienced in the Building Industry
- Accredited Industry Professionals by the Australian Institute of Building Surveyors (AIBS)
- Work underneath the National Construction Code (NCC)
- Fully licensed and insured
Our Building Certification Services
iCertified are experienced with the entire building certification process in Queensland and will assess building works from start to finish.
Building Design Stage
While the building is being designed we can provide assistance through:
- Comprehensive building advice
- Assessing and approving building plans
- Town planning
- Energy efficiency
- Ensuring the building meets Local Government requirements
- Confirming the building is suitable for occupancy
Building Construction & Completion Stage
During the construction process our services include:
- Site inspections at mandatory stages such as:
- Foundations and excavation stage
- Slab stage (prior to pouring concrete)
- Building frame stage (prior to masonry, cladding or lining)
- Final stage (after the building work has been completed)
- We provide ongoing advice in compliance with Building Approval documents
- We complete the final certification for your project in conformity with the supporting certification and documentation
- We issue the final Certification documentation to the building owner and local government
What types of building works require a permit?
Our accredited building certifiers in Brisbane provide building approvals for the following types of works:
- Construction of new dwellings/homes
- Renovations and extensions to existing homes
- Balconies, patios, verandas and decks
- Garages, carports and sheds
- Swimming pools and fences (we also provide pool safety certificates)
- Retaining walls
- As constructed Approvals
- Shop fit-outs
- Termite repair certification
- And many more types of structures, both residential and commercial.
When building approval may not be required
In some instances a building approval isn't required, such as:
- Minor home renovations;
- The construction of small sheds, stables or similar up to 10m2, other than in a tropical cyclone area (sometimes called ‘accepted developments.’)
- A 1m high retaining wall (if no loads are imposed above it, such as a building or driveway)
- A fence no more than 2m high (not including swimming pool fencing).
- Minor attachments fixed to a building, such as a sunhood no more than 1m from the building.
- Repairs and maintenance to existing buildings.
- The construction of playground equipment no more than 3m high.
However, even in these cases you may still be required to get a local government approval (source: Business QLD).
A qualified building certifier will be able to provide expert advice on whether or not a building approval is actually needed for your project.
It can be a costly mistake to conduct any building work without the appropriate approvals so it's best to check this with a professional before doing any construction work.
Ask our experienced certifiers as soon as possible on 1300 899 078.
Why do you need a Building Approval?
Building Approvals ensure the safety of a building project structure and are assessed against the Building Code of Australia and the Building and Plumbing Regulations (Queensland).
A licenced building certifier is responsible for checking whether the proposed work is compliant with the Building Act 1975. This includes the following areas:
- Will the building be safe, and designed and constructed soundly?
- Does the building have the correct level of fire safety?
- Will the building be appropriately protected from pests?
- Will the building be adequately drained and sewered?
- Will the building meet minimum energy and water efficiency standards?
Contact us for Building Approvals
Don't delay in organising your building approvals and risk non-compliance. Use our extensive experience in the building industry to ensure your project is compliant with industry standards and regulations.
Call us on 1300 899 078 or fill out our enquiry form to discuss your building approval needs.
Page last updated: 29-07-2021